Search
Close this search box.

Aircraft collection

A piece of

Aviation History

The Michigan Flight Museum is proud to showcase an extensive collection of aviation history. Our home is filled with four flyable historic aircraft and over 18 static aircraft that range from early-era prop planes to modern-day jet aircraft.

Explore below for an in-depth look at our Flight Adventure Aircraft or click the button to jump to our Static Collection.

Learn more about our

Flight Adventure Aircraft

Click on the LEARN MORE buttons to learn the history of each aircraft.

B-17 Bomber

Yankee Lady

This Flying Fortress was a WW2 U.S. heavy bomber designed by Boeing in response to a specification for a four-engined bomber.

B-25 Bomber

Rosie's Reply

The North American B-25 Mitchell is a WW2-era, American twin-engine, medium bomber manufactured by North American Aviation. 

C-47 Transport

Hairless Joe

The C-47 Skytrain is a military transport aircraft, widely utilized by the Allies during WWII and still in use by various military forces.

Huey Helicopter

Greyhound

The Bell UH-1 Iroquois (nicknamed “Huey“) is a utility military helicopter powered by a single turboshaft engine, with two-bladed main and tail rotors. 

Ford Tri-motor

Nicknamed the “Tin Goose”, the Tri-Motor is an American three-engined transport aircraft. Production lasted from 1925-1933 with a total of 199 aircraft being produced.

Coming soon!

Inside and Outside the Museum

Static Aircraft Displays

We have a growing inventory of static aircraft displays at the Museum. This aircraft collection is on display both inside and outside of the Museum, as well as Storage/Restoration facilities. Be sure to click on the LEARN MORE buttons to learn the history of each aircraft.

A-4 Skyhawk

The Douglas A-4 Skyhawk is a single seat subsonic carrier-capable attack aircraft developed for the United States Navy and United States Marine Corps in the early 1950s.

AH-1J SeaCobra

The Bell AH-1J SeaCobra is a dedicated two-seat attack helicopter based on the AH-1 HueyCobra attack helicopter.

B-52D Stratofortress

The Boeing B-52 Stratofortress is a long-range, subsonic, jet-powered strategic bomber that was designed by Boeing in the 1950s.

EC-121 Warning Star

The Lockheed EC-121 Warning Star is the military version of the Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation, one of America’s most famous airliners.

F/A-18C Hornet

The McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Hornet serves a dual role as being an Attack and Fighter aircraft, hence the “F/A” designation.

F-4 Phantom II

The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II is a tandem two-seat, twin-engine, all-weather, long-range supersonic jet interceptor and fighter-bomber.

F-84F Thunderstreak

The Republic F-84F Thunderstreak was initially designed as a swept-wing variant of the straight-wing F-84 Thunderjet.

F-86D Sabre

The North American Aviation F-86D Sabre (sometimes called the “Sabre Dog”) was a transonic, all-weather jet interceptor.

F-100C Super Sabre

The North American F-100 Super Sabre is an American supersonic jet fighter that served with the United States Air Force and with the Air National Guard.

NF-101B Voodoo

The United States Air Force needed a long-range fighter to serve as an escort for the bombers of the Strategic Air Command, so a prototype XF-88 Voodoo was created.

O-2 Skymaster

The Cessna O-2 Skymaster (nicknamed “Oscar Deuce”) is the military version of the Cessna 337 Super Skymaster.

P2V-7 Neptune

The P2V was originally developed as a land-based maritime patrol and anti-submarine aircraft for the US Navy.

PB4Y-2 Privateer

The PB4Y was used extensively after the war by the U.S. Coast Guard and by the U.S. Navy.

PS-2 Glider

The Franklin PS-2 was designed for primary instruction and for secondary (advanced) pilots.

RB-57A Canberra

The RB-57A principle mission was night photo-reconnaissance with capability of conducting daytime combat mapping operations.

RF-84F Thunderflash

The RF-84F was developed in the early 1950s in response to the Air Force’s need to replace its aging RF-80 recon aircraft fleet.

SBD Dauntless

The SBD Dauntless is a World War II Naval scout plane and dive bomber that was manufactured by Douglas Aircraft from 1940-1944.

Spad S.XIII

With its 220-hp engine, the SPAD XIII reached a maximum speed of 125 miles per hour- about ten miles quicker than German aircraft.

A complete list of aircraft on display inside and outside of the Museum, as well as Storage/Restoration facilities.

1
F/A-18 Hornet++
SPAD XIII (Replica)
PS-2 Franklin Glider
F-84F Thunderstreak
RF-84F Thunderflash+
F-86D Sabre Dog**
O-2 Skymaster
F-100C Super Sabre**+
A-4C Skyhawk++
AH-1J Cobra+++
2
F-4C Phantom II+
F-101B Voodoo**+
B-52D Stratofortress+
RB-57A Canberra**+
PB4Y-2 Privateer**
EC-121 Warning Star**++
SBD Dauntless++
P2V-7 Neptune **

Aircraft Location Key

**Currently at Storage or Restoration Facility
+On loan – National Museum of the United States Air Force
++On loan – National Naval Aviation Museum
+++On loan – National Museum of the United States Marine Corps

Boeing B-17G

B-17 Yankee Lady

The Boeing B-17G served with the U.S. Army’s Air Force based in England during World War II. It is best remembered for its dangerous daylight-bombing missions over Germany.  Defensive armament consisted of twelve .50 caliber machine guns, eight of which were mounted in pairs in the chin, top, ball, and Cheyenne tail turrets. A single gun was installed in both the left and right cheek positions located in the nose ahead of the cockpit. The left and right waist sections were permanently closed, which kept the interior warmer and eliminated the wind blasts. Early B-17s included a single radio compartment gun that projected out of the top which proved to be largely ineffective and was eliminated from later models.

History of Our Aircraft

Our aircraft is a Boeing B-17G-110-VE, USAAF serial number 44-85829. The aircraft was built by the Vega Division of Lockheed Aircraft Corporation at Burbank, California. It was delivered to the USAAF on July 16, 1945. It later made its way to Dallas, TX for modifications, and in September of 1945, was placed in storage at South Plains Field, TX along with other B-17s. Our aircraft did not see combat during World War II. As a late “G” model, the aircraft was delivered with a natural metal finish.

In 1946, it was one of the sixteen Flying Fortresses that were transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard where they were redesigned as PB-1Gs. “P” signified Patrol, “B” denoted the design by Boeing, “-1” for the first model type, and the “G” stood for Coast Guard. All of the guns and turrets were removed, and a radar dome was installed in the position formerly occupied by the chin turret. It was used for air-sea rescue missions and iceberg patrol out of Argentia, Newfoundland, Elizabeth, North Carolina, and California. Once the modifications were complete, the aircraft became PB-1G serial number 77255. At one time, it carried a 27-foot, 3,300-pound air-droppable wooden lifeboat under the fuselage for rescuing people stranded at sea. The aircraft retired from U.S.C.G in 1958.

On May 11, 1959, the airplane was sold to Ace Smelting, Inc. for $5,997.93 where it was assigned to civil registration N3193G. In 1966, Aircraft Specialties, Inc. in Mesa, Arizona purchased the aircraft. They used numerous B-17s as air tankers to fight forest fires and apply pesticides to crops and trees. During 1969, it was one of five B-17s flown to Hawaii for the filming of the movie “Tora, Tora, Tora.”

In 1985, Globe Air (the successor company to Aircraft Specialties) auctioned off several aircraft including our B-17. . The Yankee Air Museum purchased the aircraft in June 1986 for $250,000. The Museum flew the B-17G to Michigan from Arizona on July 2, 1986 where it was grounded for nine years.

The Rebuild History

A comprehensive inspection and repair/rebuild program began quickly after the B-17G arrived at the Museum. The Museum’s primary goal was to return the aircraft to safe flying conditions while also restoring her image back to her original design. The initial inspection determined that the turrets and guns were missing, the floors had been lowered and the bulkheads were removed to accommodate the previous owner’s needs. All of which would need to be addressed in the restoration.

The restoration included removing and replacing tail surfaces to address corrosion, recovering all control surfaces with modern fabric, and removing the cargo door and installing the left waist gunner window in its proper place. The crew raised the floor in the radio room to its original position and original radios and operator table were installed.

Two 1,000 gallon retardant tanks were removed and the operational bomb bay doors were installed. The missing bomb racks were rebuilt from scratch and the roof above the bomb bay was taken off in order to repair the structure.

The outer wing panels were removed to replace the corroded aileron attachment channels. The long-range Tokyo auxiliary fuel tanks were removed. Four engines were dismounted and the two outboards were overhauled.  All of the hoses were replaced and the electrical wiring was updated.

A Sperry ball turret and a Bendix chin turret were acquired, renovated, and installed in the aircraft. A top turret dome and cheek guns were fitted in the nose compartment. A replacement Cheyenne tail turret was obtained and restored to its World War II configuration.

The Museum painted the aircraft in the markings of a B-17G assigned to the 8th Air Force, 381st Bomb Group flying out of Ridgewell, England. This color scheme is a memorial to the late Joseph Slavik who flew thirty-five missions as a B-17 pilot with the 381st. Mr. Slavik and his brother, Stephen, made significant financial contributions to the Yankee Air Museum which allowed the Museum to acquire the aircraft. The name Yankee Lady and the nose art do not replicate any known combat veteran B-17s, but are meant to represent the era and the Museum.

The restoration of the B-17 Yankee Lady was almost entirely completed by dedicated volunteers. The first post-restoration flight took place on July 13, 1995 and Yankee Lady has been flying ever since!

General Characteristics

Crew:  10

Length:  74 ft. 4 in.

Height:  19 ft. 1 in.

Wingspan:  103 ft. 9 in.

Fuel Consumption:  50 gal. per hour each engine

Current Fuel Capacity:  1700 gallons

Number Built:  12,731

Original Cost:  $238,329

Bomb load:  Up to 10,000 pounds

Maximum weight:  64,500 pounds

Performance

Powerplant: 4 X Wright R-1820-97 “Cyclone” nine cylinder radial engines producing 1200 HP each

Maximum Altitude:  35,000 feet

Armament

Guns: Twelve .50 caliber Browning M2 machine guns.
Rate of fire:  750 rounds per minute.

North American B-25D Mitchell

B-25 Rosie’s Reply

B-25 Mitchell bombers were the most effective medium bombers of World War II (WWII) and are remembered mostly for the carrier-launched Doolittle Raid against Japan in April of 1942. They are named after General “Billy” Mitchell, the father of the US Air Force.

B-25s are mid-wing monoplanes with tricycle landing gear, fully cantilevered wings and fast-castering nose wheel. They fought on all fronts in all theaters of operation during WWII and were also the first medium bombers to fly off of aircraft carriers. The B-25s were also used in the Korean War and by the French during the Vietnam war.

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number 43-3634

Our North American B-25D was manufactured by North American Aviation in Kansas City, KS and was delivered to the United States Air Force (USAF) on December 17, 1943. It departed the United States for Corsica and flew bombing missions with the 12th Air Force, 57th Bomb Wing, 340th Bombardment Group, 489th Bombardment Squadron. It was successful in its missions over Sicily, Italy and the Brenner Pass (a mountain pass through the Alps which forms the border between Italy and Austria).

The aircraft returned to the United States in January 1944 and was turned over to the British government as part of the Lend-Lease Program. It was then sent to the Royal Canadian Air Force, designated KL148 and was used primarily as a trainer. During a training mission, the glass nose was destroyed and replaced with a solid nose.

The Yankee Air Museum purchased the aircraft from a private owner in 1987. It endured a three-year restoration which included reinstallation of the glass nose, and rear turret. It returned to the skies in 2003, with its new name: Yankee Warrior. She is the only flying B-25D-35 and one of very few aircraft with a documented combat history!

General Characteristics

Crew: 6

Performance

Powerplant:  2x Wright R-2600 Cyclones

Engine Type:  Two row, 14 cylinder, air-cooled radials

Horsepower:  1,700 HP each

Maximum Speed: 275 mph

Cruising Speed: 230 mph

Fuel Burn:  Combined 150 gallons per hour

Combat Radius: 1,350 miles

Armament

Typical gun complement: 8 .50 caliber machine guns

Typical bomb load: 4,000 lbs.

Fast Facts

The B-25 is the same type of bomber delivering the first strike back at Japan on April 18, 1942 flown by the legendary Gen. Jimmy Doolittle and his raiders.

The B-25 is the only American military aircraft named after a specific person, General Billy Mitchell, often referred to as the “Godfather of Military Aviation.”

The prototype B-25 was first flown in 1939.  A total 9,818 were built, of which 3,915 were “C” or “D” models.

Yankee Warrior (B-25D serial no. 43-3634) was built on December 8, 1943 and delivered to the U.S. Army Air Forces on December 17, 1943.  This aircraft flew in the 12th Air Force, part of the 57th Bomb Wing, 340th Bombardment Squadron in the 489th Bomb Squadron.

Douglas C-47 Skytrain

C-47 Hairless Joe

Experience part of history through the eyes of a paratrooper by riding on the Yankee Air Museum’s beautiful C-47 vintage military aircraft “Hairless Joe.”

This warbird, the Douglas C-47 Skytrain, was the most versatile aircraft to see combat in WWII. Derived from the commercial DC-3, the C-47 is described as the most rugged and reliable military aircraft of its time.  In fact, it was the tip of the sword, having dropped paratroopers behind enemy lines into Normandy the night before the D-Day invasion. The C-47 also moved personnel and cargo, towed troop-carrying gliders and evacuated the sick and wounded.  The C-47 was such a durable airframe it also served in Vietnam and the Gulf Wars.

Hairless Joe appears in the livery of the 1st Air Commando Group serving in the China, Burma, India Theater of World War Two.  This type of plane flew over the Himalayas to airlift badly needed supplies and munitions to our allies when the enemy closed the Burma Road.  This plane could deploy a large hook, fly very low and snag an elevated line to tow a glider aloft.

A ride in the C-47 will be an experience that will be long remembered as this powerful, ready-to-go aircraft leaps off the runway.  Once airborne passengers are free to move around the cabin and take advantage of the outstanding photo opportunities of the landscape, and the inside of the airplane including the cockpit.*  This is an historic aircraft, even the static line to which the paratroopers “hooked-up” prior to jumping is still in place.

Rides on the C-47 are affordable, making unique and thoughtful gifts for birthdays, anniversaries and graduations.  It is also an excellent platform for special events like fundraisers, corporate rewards programs or saying thank you to a veteran.

*In 2020, COVID-19 prevention measures are in effect which may limit movement inside the aircraft.

Specifications

Length:  63 ft. 9 in.

Wingspan:  95 ft. 6 in.

Power plants:  2 Pratt & Whitney 1830 Twin Wasp engines

Engine type:  14 cylinder air-cooled radials

Horsepower:  1,200 HP each

Cruising speed: 160 mph

Range: 1,600 miles

Payload: 6,000 lbs.

Crew: 4 Pilot, Co-pilot, Navigator, Radio Operator

Fast Facts:

The DC-3 made its first flight on December 17, 1935.

Between 1935 and 1945 there were 10,325 produced and some are still flying daily air service passenger and cargo routes today.

The C-47, formerly known as Yankee Doodle Dandy was the first flyable aircraft of the Yankee Air Museum, and it underwent a 20-month restoration, returning to the air in May 1984.

Yankee Doodle Dandy went through an exhaustive paint restoration in 2018 and now appears as Hairless Joe in honor of our Veterans who served in the China, Burma, India Theater of World War Two.  Hairless Joe was the C-47 piloted by then Major Dick Cole who was the co-pilot to Jimmy Doolittle in the daring raid on Tokyo, April 18, 1942.  Cole later volunteered for a secret mission in the CBI Theater flying C-47s.  Lt. Col. Dick Cole (Ret. USAAF) the last survivor of the Doolittle Raid, was recognized by Yankee Air Museum with application of Hairless Joe nose art in his honor in July, 2018.  Lt. Col. Dick Cole passed away on April 9, 2019 at the age of 103.

C-47 Flyovers

The C-47 Skytrain, Hairless Joe, with its deep roar and low flying speeds, also makes the perfect plane for flyovers of parades, civic events and the last salute at Veterans’ funerals.  This aircraft provides a noble sight adding respect to any occasion.  Contact us for more information and rates.

 

Bell UH-1H Iroquois

UH-1H HUEY GREYHOUND

The Bell UH-1 Iroquois “Huey” is recognized as one of the most iconic helicopters in the world.

In 1952, the U.S. Army needed a helicopter able to serve as a medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) unit, instrument trainer, and general utility helicopter. The Army had existing helicopters that were too large, underpowered, and complex to maintain easily. The requirements were modified in late 1953.

Twenty companies submitted design proposals, including Bell Helicopter’s Model 204 and Kamen Aircraft’s turbine-powered version of the H-43. On 23 February 1955, the Army announced that Bell Helicopter had been selected. Three Model 204s were ordered for evaluation and were designated XH-40. The first aircraft was flown on 20 October 1956. The XH-40s flew with turbine prototype Lycoming YT53-1-1, 700 shaft horsepower (SHP) engines. Several YH-40s were ordered for service tests; these models had T53-L-1A, 770 SHP engines.

In March 1960, the Army ordered 100 helicopters, and designated them as HU-1A Iroquois. A total of 182 HU-1As were built.

During the service tests, the YH-1s received glowing praise for the helicopter’s advances over the piston-powered helicopters, but some reports indicated that the aircraft was underpowered. As a result, the improved UH-1B model was built with the Lycoming T53-L-5 engine developing 960 SHP. The Army testing began in November 1960 and the first production aircraft was delivered in March 1961. A total of 1,014 UH-1Bs were built  and were later modified with the T53-L-11 engine.

The “short-bodied” Hueys were successful, but the Army wanted to carry more troops. The Bell Model 205 stretched the HU-1B by 41 inches to increase seating. The changes required doors, windows, engines, rotor systems, tail boom and gross weight adjustments. The first Model 205 prototype flew on 16 August 1961. The Army ordered production of the Model 205, now designated UH-1D, with the T53-L-11 engine, in 1963 with 2,008 total aircraft built.

In September 1962, the Department of Defense changed the designation system for all models of aircraft to a single system to be used by all the services. Thus the “Huey” became UH-1 and the nickname stuck.

On 26 October 1962, the 57th Medical Detachment (Air Ambulance) arrived in Vietnam with the newly designated UH-1B to provide support for Special Forces troops. As military operations in Vietnam ramped up, more helicopters were needed to not only rescue the wounded and recover the dead, but to move more troops into the contested areas of the country. The Vietnam War became known as the “Helicopter War.”

The Huey served active duty in the U.S. Military from 1960-2016, mostly during the Vietnam War, flying troops in and out of combat. These missions took their toll on the Huey and its crews, losing 1,074 pilots, 1,103 crew members, and 3,305 aircraft. 7,013 UH-1 Hueys served in Vietnam, flying a total of 7,531,955 hours. The Huey and its crews were directly responsible for airlifting over 100,000+ patients out of harm’s way, saving thousands of lives in the process

History of our UH-1H Greyhound

Bell Helicopter 66-01126  was purchased by the U.S. Army in March, 1967. This aircraft served in combat from October, 1967 through December, 1971. Throughout much of its time in Vietnam, 66-01126 served with the 240th Assault Helicopter Company, known as the “Greyhounds, Mad Dogs, and Kennel Keepers.” The 240th AHC operated UH-1C gunships, armed with mini-guns and rockets in the gun platoon with the call sign “Mad Dog,” and a transport or slick platoon flying UH-1H slicks whose call sign was “Greyhound.” The maintenance platoon was known as the “Kennel Keepers.”  The motto of the 240th AHC was “Go Greyhound and leave the flying to us,” a play on the bus company’s famous motto. The Greyhound Bus Company became aware of the 240th AHC’s use of their logo via the Commander of the Company, Major Glen Hoffman, who wrote to the company to gain their permission for the logo use. The Bus Company was honored and became an official sponsor of the 240th AHC, sending care packages to the troops fighting in Vietnam.

Greyhound 66-01126 returned to the United States in 1972 and was eventually assigned to the 5th Army at Fort Bliss, followed by the 1st Army at Fort Campbell and Fort Rucker. After spending time assigned to National Guard units, the 66-01126 was dropped from military inventory, and was owned by various law enforcement units and private owners and operators.Eventually, Greyhound was obtained by Northwest Helicopters, LLC of Olympia, Washington, at a Department of Defense Excess Equipment Auction. Northwest Helicopter is the largest organization outside the military to operate, rebuild, maintain or construct the UH-1 from the ground up. Northwest owns both an AH-1 and UH-1 jig, procured from Bell Helicopter. The 240th AHC Greyhound paint scheme and logo were restored on 66-01126 to honor the legacy of this valiant military Company.

Greyhound 66-01126  was delivered to the Yankee Air Museum on 26 September 2019 and began flying Air Adventures in August 2020.

General  

Crew: Pilot, Co-Pilot, 12-15 troops or 6 stretchers

Length 57 ft 1 in (17.4 m)

Rotor Diameter: 48 ft 0 in  (14.63 m)

Rotor Height:  12 ft 5 in (3.78 m)

Maximum Takeoff Height: 10,500 lbs (4,726 kg)

Performance

Powerplant: Single 1,400 shp Lycoming T53-L-13 turboshaft engine

Cruising Speed: 127 mph  (56.3 m/s)

Range:  315 Miles (511 km)

Service Ceiling: 12,600 ft (3,840 m)

Armament

Up to 8,300 lb of guns, rockets, missiles, grenades, and 40 mm grenade launcher, 70 mm air-to-ground rockets and 7.62 machine guns.

Douglas A-4C Skyhawk

The Douglas A-4 Skyhawk is a subsonic, single seat, carrier-capable attack aircraft that was developed for the United States Navy and Marine Corps in the early 1950s. It is a delta winged, single turbojet engine aircraft. This lightweight aircraft has a maximum takeoff weight of 24,500 pounds (11,200 kg) and a top speed of more than 670 miles per hour. The Skyhawk can support a variety of missiles, bombs, and other munitions. It is capable of carrying a bomb load equivalent to a Boeing B-17 bomber, and can deliver nuclear weapons using a low-altitude bombing system and a “loft” delivery technique.

The A-4 played a pivotal role in the Vietnam War as the U.S Navy’s primary aircraft. Skyhawks carried out some of the first air strikes by the United States. A Marine Skyhawk is believed to have dropped the last American bombs on Vietnam. From 1956 onward, Navy Skyhawks were the first aircraft to be deployed outside of the U.S. armed with the AIM-9 Sidewinder missile.

History of Our Aircraft

Bureau Number: 148543

The Museum received the A-4C in December 2016. The aircraft is on long-term loan from the National Naval Aviation Museum. The A-4C is painted to represent A-4C BurNo 148442, assigned to the Attack Squadron, VA-216 based aboard the USS Hancock. The paint scheme is to honor Paul Galanti, former A-4C Skyhawk pilot and POW.

The A-4C aircraft display is sponsored through the generosity of Mr. Bob Lutz, USMC Naval Aviator, who flew A-4s during his military service.

General Characteristics

Crew: One

Length: 40 ft 3 in (12.22 m)

Wingspan: 26 ft 6 in (8.38 m)

Height: 15 ft (4.57 m)

Empty Weight: 10,450 lb (4,750 kg)

Loaded Weight: 18,300 lb (8,318 kg)

Performance

PowerplantT: 1 x Pratt & Whitney J52-P8A turbojet

Maximum Speed: 585 kn (673 mph)

Range: 1,700 nmi (2,000 mi)

Service Ceiling: 42,250 ft (12,880 m)

Rate of Climb: 8,440 ft/min (43 m/s)

Armament

Guns: 2 x 20 mm Colt Mk 12 cannon, 100 rounds/gun

Hardpoints: 4 x under-wing & 1 x under-fuselage pylon stations holding up to 9,900 lb (4,490 kg) of payload

Rockets: 4 x LAU-10 rocket pods (each with 4 x 127 mm Mk 32 Zuni rockets)

The Bell AH-1J SeaCobra

During the Vietnam War, the US Army used UH-1 Hueys for transport and medical evacuations; they were slow, easy targets with little to no defense against the Viet Cong in Vietnam. The United States Air Force’s fixed winged aircraft took too long to get into combat areas to provide aerial support thus, the AH-1 Cobras answered the call for attack helicopters. The AH-1 was a drastic redesign of the UH-1 Huey that took two years from design, production, and deployment. It fulfilled the need for a quickly deployed, fast flying, and heavily armed air presence.

The AH-1 used the Huey’s tail boom, tail rotor, driver shaft, transmission and engine. The front end of the Cobra provided a slender, tandem-seated cockpit. The rivets were flush to increase aerodynamics, and a Plexiglas canopy roof provided optimal sight for the co-pilots. Cobras were also used in Desert Storm and Bosnia before being retired by the US Army in 1999. AH-1 Super Cobras are still in use by the United States Marine Corps.

The AH-1J SeaCobra was the first twin-engine version, developed specifically for the United States Marine Corps (USMC). The twin engines allowed the aircraft to maintain flight using a single engine and greatly improved safety to Marines traveling long distances over water. USMC used these helicopters to support landing forces during amphibious assaults and subsequent land operations.

History of Our Aircraft

BurNo is 159212

Our SeaCobra served stateside with only two stints abroad: Tripoli in 1977 and Belleau in 1980. It served with the Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron (HMLA) 169, HMLA-369, and HMLA-267. It also served with the Air Test and Evaluation Squadron, VX-5. It is the first aircraft Yankee Air Museum received on loan from the National Museum of the Unites States Marine Corps.

General Characteristics

Crew: 2, pilot and co-pilot/gunner (CPG)

Length: 53 ft 5 in (16.3 m) (with both rotors turning)

Fuselage Length: 45 ft 9 in (13.5 m)

Stub Wing Span: 10 ft 9 in (3.28 m)

Height: 13 ft 5 in (4.1 m)

Empty Weight: 6,610 lb (2,998 kg)

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 10,000 lb (4,540 kg)

Rotor Diameter: 43 ft 11 in (13.4 m)

Performance

Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney Canada T400-CP-400 (PT6T-3 Twin-Pac) turboshaft, 1,800 shp (1,342 kW)

Maximum Speed: 152 knots (175 mph, 282 km/h)

Never Exceed Speed: 190 knots (219 mph, 352 km/h)

Range: 311 nmi (358 mi, 576 km)

Service Ceiling: 10,500 ft (3,215 m)

Rate of Climb: 1,090 ft/min (5.54 m/s)

Total Engine Output: 1,530 shp (1,125 kW) limited by helicopter drivetrain

Rotor Systems: 2 blades on main rotor, 2 blades on tail rotor

Armament

20 mm (0.787 in) M197 3-barreled Gatling cannon in the M97 turret (750 rounds ammo capacity)

2.75 in (70 mm) Mk 40, or Hydra 70 rockets in 7 or 19 rounds pods

5 in (127 mm) Zuni rockets – up to 16 rockets in 4-round LAU-10D/A launchers

AIM-9 Sidewinder anti-aircraft missiles – 1 mounted on each hardpoint

Boeing B-52D Stratofortress

The Boeing B-52 Stratofortress is a long-range, subsonic, jet-powered strategic bomber that was designed by Boeing in the 1950s. This bomber is capable of carrying up to 70,000 pounds of payload and can travel more than 8,800 miles without refueling. B-52 has a superior performance at subsonic speeds and low operating costs compared to more advanced aircraft in use.

The B-52 played a key role in air strikes during the Vietnam War. Operation Linebacker II was the largest heavy bomber airstrike launched since the end of World War II. Over 700 sorties were flown over North Vietnam during a twelve-day period in 1972. This aircraft was also imperative during Operation Desert Storm. On January 16, 1991, seven B-52Gs flew from Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana to strike targets in Iraq. Without landing, they then returned to the United States, completing a journey of 35 hours and 14,000 miles (23,000 km) round trip. This journey set a record for the longest distant combat mission, breaking the record previously held by an Royal Air Force Vulcan bomber in 1982. Variants of the B-52 are still in active service today, making it one of the longest serving aircraft in USAF history.

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number: 55-0677

The B-52D was delivered to the United States Air Force on August 1st 1957. It was deployed to Southeast Asia where it flew over 600 combat missions during the Vietnam War. The Museum acquired the aircraft on October 26th 1983 when it flew its last flight from Carswell Air Force Base, Texas to Willow Run Airport, Michigan. The aircraft is on permanent loan to Yankee Air Museum from the National Museum of the United States Air Force. The B-52 is still the largest aircraft the Museum has acquired to date and is one of the last intact D models.

General Characteristics

Crew: 5

Wingspan: 185 ft (56.38 m)

Length: 159 ft 4 in (48.56 m)

Height: 40 ft 8 in (12.39 m)

Max Takeoff Weight: 488,000 lbs

Performance

Powerplant: 8 Pratt & Whitney engines TF33-P-3/103 turbofan

Maximum Speed: 560 kn (650 mph, 1,047 km/h)

Cruise Speed: 442 kn (525 mph, 844 km/h)

Range: 8,800 mi (7,652 nautical miles)Service Ceiling: 50,000 ft (15,000 m)

Rate of Climb: 6,270 ft/min (31.85 m/s)

Armament

Guns: 1x 20 mm M61 Vulcan cannon originally mounted in a remote controlled tail turret on the H-model. Removed from all current operational aircraft since 1991.

Bomb Load: About 70,000 lb (31,500 kg) mixed ordinance; bombs, mines, missiles.

Lockheed EC-121 Warning Star

he Lockheed EC-121 Warning Star is the military version of the Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation, one of America’s most famous airliners. These aircraft were the front line of defense surveillance with seemingly infinite miles of ocean to scan to be able to warn against possible attacks from the Soviet Union, China and other nations during the Cold War. The planes were equipped with a “camel back” radome atop the fuselage as well as a ventral radome below which housed the most advanced radar and communication systems available. The US utilized over 230 unarmed Warning Stars from the early 1950s to the late 1970s.

History of Our Aircraft:

Lockheed WV-2, Navy BUNO 141311 served at the Patuxent River Military Base in Maryland from 1956-1961 and in Argentia, Newfoundland the following year. In April 1962, it was transferred to the Pacific Missile Range (PMR) in Point Mugu, California and was reassigned as an EC-121K in September of the same year. It moved to PMR Hawaii Facilities at the Marine Corps Air Station in Kahaehe, Hawaii in 1967. The aircraft returned to Port Mugu in 1971 and by June 1975 the aircraft had logged 12,347 flight hours. In May 1979, the aircraft was transferred to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base for storage and in 1982 was transferred to US Air Force inventory at Davis-Monthan. The aircraft took its final flight on June 4th 1983 to Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul, IL where it was placed on permanent display.

In May, 2017, the EC-121 began the process of disassembly. The different aircraft parts were loaded on a total of seven semi-truck loads, and two super-truck loads to make the 350-mile journey to Yankee Air Museum. It arrived on July 13th and was completely reassembled by July 26th, thanks to our friends at WorldWide Aircraft Recovery. The aircraft is on long-term loan from the National Naval Aviation Museum.

General Characteristics

Crew: typically six flight crew, 11–25 radar crew

Length: 116 ft 2 in (35.40 m)

Wingspan: 126 ft 2 in (38.45 m)

Height: 24 ft 9 in (7.54 m)

Wing area: 1,650 ft² (153.27 m²)

Empty weight: 69,210 lb (31,387 kg)

Max. takeoff weight: 143,000 lb (65,000 kg)

Powerplant: 4 × Wright R-3350-34 Turbo Compound 18-cylinder supercharged radial engines, 3,400 hp (2,536 kW) each

Performance

Maximum speed: 299 mph (260 kn, 481 km/h)

Cruise speed: 255 mph (222 kn, 410 km/h)

Range: 4,250 mi (3,700 nmi, 6,843 km)

Service ceiling: 25,000 ft (7,620 m)

Rate of climb: 960 ft/min (4.87 m/s)

McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Hornet

In 1973 Congress directed the Navy to investigate two aircraft designs being considered by the U.S. Air Force as its new lightweight fighter.  The Air Force chose the General Dynamics/Lockheed Martin YF-16 which became the F-16 Falcon.  In 1975, the Navy selected the McDonnell Douglas/Northrup YF-17, which had the structural requirements for carrier operations and named it the F/A-18 Hornet.  The F/A-18 was designed to be a highly versatile aircraft due to its avionics, cockpit displays, and excellent aerodynamic characteristics, with the ability to carry a wide variety of weapons.

The Hornet was radical in its design as a multi-mission tactical aircraft. It is an incredibly maneuverable aircraft due to its good thrust-to-weight ratio and leading edge extensions. The leading edge extensions (LEXs) are designed to create a strong vortex that increases the stall angle of a wing. The advance of this is the ability of a vortex to speed up the flow of air over a wing and allow the plane to reach a higher angle of attack than it would be able to otherwise. These design additions allow for the Hornet to remain controllable at high angles of attack, lending itself to be a very versatile aircraft.

The Hornet serves a dual role as being an Attack and Fighter aircraft, hence the “F/A” designation. It was among the first aircraft to heavily use multi-function displays which allows the pilot to take advantage of the dual role of the aircraft by switching a button to make the aircraft perform as either role or both. This gives the pilot extreme flexibility while flying in fast-changing scenarios. Attack aircraft are typically involved in Air-to-Ground missions, while Fighter aircraft are responsible for Air-to-Air combat.

History of Our Aircraft

Bureau Number: 163485

The Hornet was built as a C model and delivered to the Navy in 1988. It was soon assigned to the Strike Fighter Squadron 83 (VFA-83) at NAS Cecil Field, Florida.

In 1990, the aircraft saw its first deployment aboard the USS Saratoga in the Red Sea in support of Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm. In the late 1990s, the aircraft saw travel to the Mediterranean Sea, the Adriatic Sea, and the Persian Gulf, aboard the USS Enterprise. All told, the Hornet served in four different squadrons, and participated in over a dozen different deployments in support of Operation Desert Shield, Operation Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom over Afghanistan.

In 2016, the Hornet was transferred to the Navy’ Aerial Flight Demonstration team, the Blue Angels. While with the Blue Angels, the aircraft flew in give of the regular positions. It served with the Team until the end of the 2020 season when all of the Legacy Hornets were retired in favor of the Super Hornet. In January, 2021, Yankee Air Museum welcomed the Hornet into its Aircraft Collection.

General Characteristics

Crew: One – Pilot

Length: 56 ft 1 in (17.1 m)

Height: 15 ft 5 in (4.7 m)

Wingspan: 40 ft 5 in (12.3 m)

Empty Weight: 23,000 lb

Loaded Weight: 51,900 lbs

Performance

Powerplant: 2 x General Electric F404-GE-402 Afterburning Turbofan engines

Maximum Speed: 1,034 kn (1,190 mph)

Range: 1,089 nmi (1,253 mi)

Service Ceiling: 50,000 ft (15,000 m)

Rate of Climb: 50,000 ft/min (250 m/s)

Armament

Guns: 1 x 20mm M61A1 Vulcan nose mounted 6-barrel rotary cannon

Hardpoints: 9 in total: 2x wingtips missile launch rail, 4x under-wing, and 3x under-fuselage with a capacity of 13,700 lb external fuel and ordnance, with provisions to carry combinations of rockets, missiles, and bombs.

McDonnell F4-C Phantom

The F-4 Phantom II first flew on May 27, 1958 from the McDonnell-Douglas facility in St. Louis, MO, and was developed as a defense interceptor for the U.S. Navy. Named in honor of the company’s earlier naval jet fighter, the FH-1 “Phantom,” the F-4’s appearance was, to put it mildly, a “shock.” Fighters were supposed to be a small, sleek, single-seater with guns. The Phantom was a huge fighter with bent wings, a two-man crew, and missile armament. Many in the industry thought the aircraft was downright ugly and looked like it could never get off the ground. However, once people saw the capabilities of the F-4, they soon changed their minds.

The big, powerful F-4 gave both pilot and radar officer the ride of their lives, blasting off with twice as much power as other fighters and going into battle armed to the teeth. In the mid-1960s, the U.S. Air Force was in need of a new aircraft with greater strength. Thus, the Air Force turned to the F-4. The F-4 was used heavily throughout the Vietnam War.

The F-4 Phantom II did so many jobs well that no other warplane met its standard. When production ended in 1979, McDonnell-Douglas had produced over 5,000 Phantoms for the U.S. Navy, Marines, Air Force and friendly foreign nations.

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number: 63-555

The F-4 Phantom II was assigned to the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing (TFW) in Da Nang, Vietnam from August-September of 1967. Yankee Air Museum acquired the aircraft in 1994 when it was transported from the Shaw AFB in South Carolina. It is on permanent loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force.

General Characteristics

Crew: 2

Length: 58 ft 5 in (17.8 m)

Wingspan: 38 ft 5 in (11.7 m)

Height: 16 ft 3 in (4.9 m)

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 58,000 lbs (26,308 kg)

Performance

Powerplant: Two 17,000 lb thrust General Electric J-79-GE-10 turbojets w/ afterburner

Maximum Speed: 1,400 mph (2,253 km/h) at 48,000 ft (14,630 m)

Range: 1,750 miles (2,816 km)

Service Ceiling: 59,600 ft (18,166 m)

Armament

Four AIM-7 Sparrow or AIM-9 sidewinder missiles. 5 hardpoint mounting for up to 16,000 lbs of bombs. M61A1 20mm Gatling gun mounted under the fuselage.

Republic F-84F Thundersteak

The Republic F-84F Thunderstreak was initially designed as a swept-wing variant of the straight-wing F-84 Thunderjet. The first prototype Thunderstreak was created in 1949. The U.S. Air Force placed orders for the F-84F in 1950. Design and production issues delayed the first production model flight to 1952. The F-84F was finally declared operational in 1954. The production of the F-84F differed significantly from the straight-wing F-84s. From 1954 through 1955 the U.S. Air Force demonstration team, the Thunderbirds, flew F-84Fs.

Engine failures and flameouts in heavy precipitation led the Air Force to initiate the operational phaseout of F-84Fs shortly after their introduction. The phaseout was completed in 1958. Tensions with Germany over the Berlin Wall in 1961 resulted in the reactivation of the fleet. The fleet was grounded again in 1962 due to control rod corrosion. The F-84F was retired from USAF service in 1964 and from Air National Guard service in 1971. It was replaced by the North American F-100 Super Sabre.

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number 51-9501

This particular Thunderstreak was delivered to the U.S. Air Force in 1955. It served with the United States Air Force through 1958. From 1958 through 1962 it was flown by several Air National Guard units. It served with the U.S. Air Force in France from 1962 to 1964. It finished its military service with the Air National Guard in 1970. The aircraft then served as an instructional airframe at Western Michigan University as part of its aviation training program.

In 1985, the Yankee Air Museum acquired the aircraft. The aircraft was displayed outside until restoration began in 2016. As part of the restoration, the plane was painted in a Thunderbirds livery and is now the feature aircraft in the Museum’s permanent Thunderbirds exhibit. The flag decals on the plane represent the Latin American countries the Thunderbirds visited during their 1954-1955 international tour.

General Characteristics

Crew: 1
Wingspan: 33 ft 7 in
Length: 43 ft
Height: 14 ft 4 in
Empty Weight: 13,830 lb
Maximum Takeoff Weight: 28,000 lb

Performance

Powerplant: 1 x Wright J65-W-3 Turbojet
Maximum Speed: 695 mph
Range: 810 miles
Service Ceiling: 46,000 ft
Rate of Climb: 8,200 ft/min

Armament

6 x 0.50 in Browning M3 machine guns: four mounted in the nose over intake, two mounted in the wing roots. 1,800 rounds in total.
Up to 6,000lb of rockets and bombs, including one Mark 7 nuclear bomb

North American F-86D Sabre

The North American Aviation F-86D Sabre (sometimes called the “Sabre Dog”) was a transonic, all-weather jet interceptor. F-86D has only 25 percent commonality with other Sabre variants, with a larger fuselage, large afterburning engine, and a distinctive nose radome. It was mainly produced as both a fighter-interceptor and as a fighter-bomber. The fighter-bomber version could carry up to 2,000 pounds of bombs, including an external fuel-type tank that could carry napalm.

During the Korean War, the F-86E and F models served with distinction. They proved more than adequate in dealing with the Soviet built MIG-15 used by North Koreans despite being inferior to it in armament, altitude, and climb capabilities.

Its success led to an extended production run of more than 7,800 aircraft between 1949 and 1956. The Sabre was by far the most-produced Western jet fighter at the time, with total production of all variants at 9,860 units.

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number: 53-1060

Throughout the 1950s-60s, this aircraft served with a number of USAF Squadrons, including the 3600th Combat Crew Training Wing, the 354th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, 354th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, 56th Consolidated Logistics Maintenance Squadron, 56th Consolidated Logistics Maintenance Squadron, 158th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, and the 2750th Air Base Wing.

The Yankee Air Museum acquired the aircraft in August, 1982 when it was trucked from Hamilton, OH to Willow Run. The aircraft is on loan to Yankee Air Museum from the State of Michigan as part of the GSA Program. In 2014–2015, it underwent restoration at the Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology, and is now awaiting a new paint scheme.

General Characteristics

Crew: 1

Length: 40 ft 3 in (12.27 m)

Wingspan: 37 ft 1.5 in (11.31 m)

Height: 15 ft 0 in (4.57 m)

Empty Weight: 13,518 lb (6.132 kg)

Gross Weight: 19,975 lb (9,060 kg)

Performance

Powerplant: 1 x General Electric J47-GE-17B, 5,425 lbf (24.1kN) dry, 7,500 lbf (33.4 kN) with afterburner.

Maximum Speed: 693 mph (1.115 km/h)

Range: 330 mi (531 km)

Service Ceiling: 49,750 ft (15,163 m)

Rate of Climb: 12,150 ft/min (61.7 m/s)

Armament

24×2.75 in (70mm) Might Mouse FFAR rockets in ventral tray

North American F-100C Super Sabre

The North American F-100 Super Sabre is an American supersonic jet fighter that served with the United States Air Force from 1954 to 1971 and with the Air National Guard until 1979. It was the first USAF fighter capable of supersonic speed in level flight.  The F-100 was designed by North American Aviation as a higher performance follow-on to the F-86 Sabre Air Superiority Fighter.

Adapted as a fighter-bomber, the F-100 was supplanted by the Mach 2 Class F-105 Thunderchief for strike missions over North Vietnam. The F-100 flew extensively over South Vietnam as the Air Force’s primary close air support jet until being replaced by the more efficient subsonic LTV A-7 Corsair II.

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number: 54-1785

The F-100C is on permanent loan to Yankee Air Museum from the National Museum of the United States Air Force. She was delivered to Willow Run in October 2015. The aircraft is currently undergoing an extensive restoration process to bring her back to pristine condition.

General Characteristics

Crew: 1

Wingspan: 38 ft 9 in (11.81 m)

Length: 50 ft (15.2 m)

Height: 16 ft 2¾ in (4.95 m)

Empty Weight: 21,000 lb (9,500 kg)

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 34,832 lb (15,800 kg)

Performance

Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney J57-P-21/21A turbojet

Dry Thrust: 10,200 lbf (45 kN)

Thrust with Afterburner: 16,000 lbf (71 kN)

Maximum Speed: 750 kn (864 mph, 1,390 km/h, Mach 1.3)

Range: 1,733 NM (1,995 mi, 3,210 km)

Service Ceiling: 50,000 ft (15,000 m)

Rate of Climb: 22,400 ft/min (114 m/s)

Armament

Guns: 4× 20 mm (0.787 in) Pontiac M39A1 revolver cannon

Missiles:  4× AIM-9 Sidewinder or

2× AGM-12 Bullpup or

2× or 4× LAU-3/A 2.75″ unguided rocket dispenser

Bombs: 7,040 lb (3,190 kg) of weapons, including conventional bombs or choice of the following Special Stores:
Mark 7 nuclear bomb
Mark 28 nuclear bomb
Mark 38 nuclear bomb
Mark 43 nuclear bomb

The McDonnell NF-101B Voodoo

The United States Air Force needed a long-range fighter to serve as an escort for the bombers of the Strategic Air Command, so a prototype XF-88 Voodoo was created. It first flew on October 20, 1948, but subsequent decisions resulted in design changes that turned the Voodoo into a tactical fighter under the new designation F-101. The F-101 first flew in September 1954, and the first Voodoo was delivered to the U.S. Air Force in May 1957.

The F-101 Voodoo versions included the “A” and “C” model tactical attack fighter. These models were designed to carry a nuclear weapon at high speed and to escape at full power to clear the blast effects when the weapon detonated. The F-101B was designed as a two-seat, all-weather interceptor by adding the MG-13 radar fire control and radar intercept operator. For pilots, the F-101 Voodoo was a friendly beast, though not very forgiving, and was one of the most difficult aircraft to fly that ever served in the U.S. Air Force.

Designed as a bomber escort, the Voodoo became a tactical nuclear striker and an interceptor defending North America. When production ended in March 1961, McDonnell had manufactured a total of 785 Voodoos serving with distinction in the U.S. Air Force, Air National Guard, and Canadian Air Force.

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number: 0-60235

The Voodoo was delivered to the USAF on September 9th, 1957 where it was used as a test aircraft in the ejection seat program. It was later transported from the National Museum of the United States Air Force to the Yankee Air Museum for permanent loan on October 24th, 1983. It is currently undergoing a restoration process that began in 2018.

General Characteristics

Crew: 2

Length: 67 ft 5 in (20.54 m)

Wingspan: 39 ft 8 in (12.09 m)

Height: 18 ft 0 in (5.4 m)

Empty Weight: 28,000 lbs (12,700 kg)

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 46,700 lbs (21,182 kg)

Performance

Powerplant: Two Pratt & Whitney J-57-53 or -55 turbojets, 10,000 lbs thrust

Maximum Speed: 1,200 mph (Mach 1.85) (536.4 m/s)

Range: 1,550 miles (2,494 km)

Service Ceiling: 52,000 ft (15,849 m)

Armament

Three M-39 20mm cannon (four TACAN removed) in fuselage, up to three AIM-4D air-to-air missiles, two AIR-2A Genie nuclear rockets.

The Cessna O-2 Skymaster (nicknamed “Oscar Deuce”) is the military version of the Cessna 337 Super Skymaster. Forward Air Control (FAC) and psychological operations (PSYOPS) used this type of aircraft between 1967 and 2010. As with the civilian version, the Skymaster was a low-cost, twin-engine, piston-powered aircraft, with one engine in the nose of the aircraft and a second engine in the rear of the fuselage. The push-pull configuration allowed for a simple single-engine operating procedure. The high wing provided an unobstructed view below and behind the aircraft.

The O-2 Skymaster was first added to USAF inventory in March 1967. By 1970, a total of 532 O-2s had been built, in two variations. During the Vietnam War, the O-2A was introduced as a replacement for the O-1 Bird Dog, in the Forward Air Control (FAC) and served in this role with the 20th Tactical Air Support Squadron. The O-2B was equipped with loudspeakers and a leaflet dispenser for use in the psychological operations (PSYOPS) role. A total of 178 USAF O-2 Skymasters were lost in the Vietnam War. Following the Vietnam War, the O-2 continued to operate with both U.S. Air Force and Air National Guard units well into the late 1980s.

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number: 21416

The Yankee Air Museum acquired the O-2 Skymaster in 2013. The aircraft had been abandoned at the Detroit Metro Airport for over a decade. The staff of Yankee Air Museum rescued the airplane from being scraped. The staff towed the O-2 from Detroit Metro Airport to Willow Run Airport, closing down the surface streets with the help of the Wayne County Weighmaster’s staff. The O-2 has undergone various static restoration projects since its recovery. It is currently on display in the “Five Simple Machines in Aviation” hands-on exhibit.

General Characteristics

Crew: 2; Pilot and Observer

Wingspan: 38.17 ft (11.63 m)

Length: 29.75 ft (9.07 m)

Height: 9.17 ft (2.79 m)

Empty Weight: 2,848 lb (1,292 kg)

Loaded Weight: 5,400 lb (2,448 kg)

Performance

Powerplant: 2 × Continental IO-360C six-cylinder flat engines, 210 hp (157 kW) each

Maximum Speed: 200 mph (322 km/h)

Range: 1,325 mi (2,132 km) combat

Service Ceiling: 18,000 ft (5,490 m)

Rate of Climb: 1,180 ft/min (6 m/s)

Armament

Guns: SUU-11/A Minigun Pod

Hardpoints: Four MAU-3A bomb racks

Rockets: LAU-59/A Rocket Launcher, MA-2/A Rocket Launcher

Bombs: SUU-14/A Bomblet Dispenser

Cessna O-2 Skymaster

P2V-7 Neptune

The P2V was originally developed as a land-based maritime patrol and anti-submarine aircraft for the US Navy. Neptunes were produced from 1945-1962 and were designed to carry large bomb loads for long distances. P2Vs were operated by the US Navy, Army and Air Force. They were also used by the Argentinian, Australian, Brazilian, Canadian, French, Dutch, Portuguese and British militaries. Japan based Kawasaki were licensed to design and produce Japanese P2V-Kais (later known as P-2J). P2V-7 was the last major configuration and was used in service for more than twenty years.

History of Our Aircraft:

Yankee Air Museum’s P2V-7 Neptune was utilized for aerial firefighting for Neptune Aviation Services in Missoula, Montana. Known as Tanker #45 Buno 140443, the P2V-7 operated for decades in this capacity. It is equipped with a REV-3 Tank which is capable of delivering a payload of 3,000 gallons of fire retardant.

General Characteristics

Crew: 7–9

Wingspan: 103 ft 10 in (31.65 m)

Wing Area: 1,000 ft² (92.9 m²)

Length: 91 ft 8 in (27.94 m)

Height: 29 ft 4 in (8.94 m)

Empty Weight: 49,935 lb (22,650 kg)

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 79,895 lb (35,240 kg)

Performance

Powerplant

2 × Westinghouse J34-WE-34 turbojet, 3,400 lbf (15.1 kN) each

2 × Wright R-3350-32W Cyclone Turbo-compound radial engine, 3,700 hp (2,759 kW) wet each

Propellers: 4 bladed propeller, 1 per engine

Maximum Speed: 316 kn (363 mp/h) (586 km/h) (all engines)

Cruise Speed: 180 kn (207 mp/h) (333 km/h) (max)

Range: 1,912 nmi (2,157 mi) (3,540 km)

Service Ceiling: 22,400 ft (6,827 m)

Armament

Bombs: 8,000 lb (3,629 kg) including free-fall bombs, depth charges, and torpedoes

Rockets: 2.75 in (70 mm) FFAR in removable wing-mounted pods

The Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

During World War II, the U.S. Navy needed a long range submarine/maritime patrol aircraft on the North Atlantic. On July 7, 1942, it acquired several B-24D planes from the Army and designated them PB4Y-1s. The letters “PB” stood for Patrol Bomber, the “4Y” denoted it was the fourth design built for the Navy by the Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation, and the final number indicated the type’s model number. In addition to the B-24D, the Navy applied this designation to the B-24J, L and M models.

Deciding that it needed an aircraft built to specifications more closely tailored to its needs, the Navy assigned three PB4Y-1’s to be used as a test aircraft. Highly modified by Consolidated Aircraft at San Diego, California, the modified planes were then designated XPB4Y-2 Privateers. Among the more prominent changes was the lengthening of the fuselage by seven feet, the adoption of a single tall tail and rudder, and the incorporation of special purpose electronics. Another major alteration was the deletion of engine superchargers since the plane was designed to operate at low altitude on maritime patrol. The first XPB4Y-2 made its maiden flight on September 20, 1943.

While only seeing limited service in World War II, the PB4Y was used extensively after the war by the U.S. Coast Guard for ice patrol and by the U.S. Navy for maritime reconnaissance, anti-submarine patrol, secret countermeasures, and electronic probing missions. One of the more interesting roles for them was played out during the Korean War. Some Privateers were modified to carry 150 flares. Accompanied by U.S. Marine Corps Skyraiders, they were used to attack North Korean truck convoys at night. The Privateers would drop flares and the Skyraiders would then use the lights to attack the convoys.

The last of the Privateers were withdrawn from U.S. service in 1955. Over eighty of the total model served abroad with either the French Aeronavale or the Nationalist Chinese Air Force.

History of Our Aircraft

Bureau No. 59876.

The Privateer was an ex-sprayer and fire bomber. It crashed at Port Hardy in British Columbia, Canada on August 9th, 1975. It was later donated to the Yankee Air Museum on May 30th, 1986 and arrived at the Museum in October of 1986. Since then, it has undergone an extensive restoration process including completely rebuilding sections of the aircraft, including turrets and glass sections. It has also been repainted into a WWII naval paint scheme. This restoration project is funded by the George C. Riley Foundation.

General Characteristics

Crew: 11

Wingspan: 110 ft 0 in (33.53 m)

Length: 74 ft 7 in (22.73 m)

Height: 30 ft 1 in (9.17 m)

Empty Weight: 37, 485 lb (17,003 kg)

Performance

Powerplant: Four Pratt & Whitney 1350 HP R1830-94 radial piston engines

Maximum Speed: 237 MPH (381 km/h at 13,750 ft (4, 190 m)

Service Ceiling: 20,700 (6,310 m)

Armament

Guns: turrets each containing two 50 caliber machine guns in nose, tail, dorsal (2) waits (2)

Payload: 6,000 lbs (bombs, depth charges, etc)

1930 Franklin PS-2 Glider

Many hobbyists including Otto Lilienthal, and the Wright brothers made and flew gliders in the late 1800s. The Wrights added an engine in 1903, and interest in gliders faded. Following World War I, the Treaty of Versailles prohibited Germans from flying powered airplanes, so they turned back to gliders to keep interest in aviation active. Gliding then became a popular sport in the 1920s around the world, including in the United States.

The Franklin PS-2 was designed for primary instruction and for secondary (advanced) pilots, hence the name PS-2: “Primary and Secondary Too.” It is an American-built, high-wing, strut-braced, single seat glider. The PS-2 was rugged, easy to assemble, good performance, and had excellent handling. Nearly 60 PS-2s were produced at 800 Railroad Street in Ypsilanti, Michigan, then the largest glider factory in the world. The PS-2 sold for $675 (just under $9,000 in today’s currency).

History of Our Aircraft

Our glider was built in August 1930 in Ypsilanti, Michigan by the Franklin Glider Corp. This glider is on permanent loan from the National Soaring Museum.

General Characteristics:

Crew: 1

Wingspan: 36 ft 0 in (10.97 m)

Wing Area: 180 sq ft (17 m2)

Aspect Ratio: 7.2:1

Empty Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)

Gross Weight: 400 lb (181 kg)

Performance 

Maximum Glide Ratio: 15:1

Rate of Sink: 150 ft/min (0.76 m/s)

The Martin RB-57A Canberra

In the 1950s, the U.S. Air Force held a competition to select a new medium jet bomber. The winner was the English Electric Canberra. This twin engine bomber had first flown on May 30, 1949, and was put into service with the United Kingdom’s Royal Air Force. The Canberra had been designed to fly high and fast enough to dispense with the need for any defensive armament and was the leading light bomber design of its day.

The reconnaissance version was designated RB-57A. Its principle mission was night photo-reconnaissance with provisions for both high and low altitude operations, as well as having the alternate capability of conducting daytime combat mapping operations. Instead of the three-man crew of the British version, the RB-57A carried only a pilot and a photo-navigator.

By the time production ended in 1959, there had been 403 B-57s built, of which 67 were RB-57As.

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number: 0-21426

The Yankee Air Museum’s Canberra was the 10th U.S. built airframe. The aircraft was in Sembach, Germany from November 1956 to September 1957 as part of the 66th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing. It was later part of the 172nd Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron and the 110th Tactical Reconnaissance Group at Kellogg Field, Battle Creek, MI from December 1959 through August 1973. It has been on permanent loan to the Yankee Air Museum from the National Museum of the United States Air Force since April 1990.

General Characteristics

Crew: 2

Length: 65 ft 6 in (19.96 m)

Wingspan: 64 ft 0 in (19.5 m)

Height: 14 ft 9 in (4.49 m)

Performance

Powerplant: Two 7,220 lbs thrust Wright J-65 turbojets

Maximum Speed: 610 mph (981 km/h)

Range: 2,100 miles (3,379 km)

Service Ceiling: 44,800 plus (13,655 m)

Armament

Four 20mm cannons, or right .50 caliber machine guns and various combinations of bombs and rockets

The Republic RF-84F Thunderflash

In November 1944 the U.S. Army Air Corps embarked on creating a totally new aircraft design, the P-84. This design was drafted after several years of attempted redesigns of the P-47 Thunderbolt piston engine. The aircraft featured a slender fuselage, air intake located in the nose, and straight (un-swept) wings. The prototype XP-84 made its first flight on February 28, 1946. The first F-84s flew in May 1947 and the last Thunderjet was produced in July 1953. A total of 4,457 straight-wing Thunderjets were produced in the A, B, C, D, E and G models. The F reserved for the swept wing version.

The development of the YRF-84F Thunderflash in February 1952 was in response to the Air Force’s need to replace its aging RF-80 reconnaissance aircraft fleet. While it was derived from the F-84F series, the aircraft had several variants to accommodate the specialized needs of reconnaissance missions. Differences included dual air intakes located in each wing root and a new nose design which allowed the aircraft to carry radar, electronic equipment, and up to nine cameras for surveillance.

The camera design was extremely advanced for its day. A computerized control system analyzed light conditions, aircraft altitude and speed. The system set the camera automatically. The pilot utilized a viewfinder and precision grid system to see exactly what they were taking pictures of. A voice recorder captured comments about target movements, exact altitudes, times, and speeds related to the mission. For night operations, the aircraft carried ejector cartridges under the wings containing magnesium flares which lit the scene before the camera recorded images.

Thunderflash production ended in March 1958.

History of Our Aircraft:

Serial Number: 52-7421

The RF-84F was accepted by the USAF on December 29th 1955 and served at Selfridge AFB. It was visible along I-94, near Haggerty road in Belleville, MI from 1971-1987 until it was towed to the Museum. It has been on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force since June 1988. The aircraft was repainted in 2013 in a Vietnam-era camo paint scheme.

General Characteristics:

Crew: 1, Pilot

Wingspan: 33 ft 7 in (10.2 m)

Length: 43 ft 4 in (13.2 m)

Height: 15 ft 0 in (4.57 m)

Empty Weight: 13,800 lbs (6,259 kg)

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 28,000 lbs (12,700 kg)

Performance:

Powerplant: Single 7,220 lb thrust Wright J64-W-3

Maximum Speed: 695 mph at sea level (310 m/s)

Range: Combat 860 miles, Ferry 1,800 miles (1,384 km/ 2,896 km)

Service Ceiling: 48,000 ft (14,630 m)

Rate of Climb: 50,000 ft (15,240 m)

Armament:

Guns: Four .50 cal machine guns in the wings

Bomb Load: 6,000 lbs of external bombs and rockets

Douglas SBD Dauntless

The SBD Dauntless is a World War II Naval scout plane and dive bomber that was manufactured by Douglas Aircraft from 1940-1944. The SBD stands for “Scout Bomber Douglas” to identify its role and manufacturer; however it was given the nickname “Slow But Deadly” during the war given its performance. The aircraft was the United States Navy’s main carrier-based scout/dive bomber through the majority of WWII. The SBD is best remembered as the bomber that delivered the fatal blows to the Japanese carriers at the Battle of Midway in June 1942.

During its combat service, the SBD proved to be an excellent naval scout plane and dive bomber. The aircraft was a great asset for the US military overseas because of its long range, good handling, maneuverability, potent bomb load, defensive armament, ruggedness and suburb diving characteristics from the perforated dive breaks.

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number: 06626

This SBD served with the VS-41 (a Scouting Squadron) aboard the USS Ranger during Operation Torch in the fall, 1942. Operation Torch was the Allied-led invasion of North Africa.

SBD #06626 was later transferred to VGS-29 (an Auxiliary Carrier Scouting Squadron) on the USS Santee, in December 1942. While aboard the USS Santee, the carrier embarked on a South Atlantic cruise operating out of Brazil for anti-submarine warfare and anti-blockade operations.

From there, #06626 was transferred to VB-28 (a Bombing Squadron) in June 1943, though little is known of the service that it saw with this Squadron.

In October 1943, #06626 was transferred to the Carrier Qualification Training Unit operating out of Glenview, IL with carrier training on Lake Michigan. On October 5, 1943, the aircraft crashed into the lake upon takeoff due to an engine failure. The aircraft rested on the bottom of Lake Michigan until 1996. The Yankee Air Museum received this aircraft on long-term loan from the National Naval Aviation Museum in 2018. It is the feature aircraft in the Deep Landings exhibit.

General Characteristics

Crew: 2
Wingspan: 41 ft, 6 in
Length: 33 feet
Height: 13 ft, 7in
Empty Weight: 6,404 lb
Maximum Takeoff Weight: 10,700 lb

Performance

Powerplant: 1 x Wright R-1820-60 Cyclone 9-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine, 1,200 hp
Maximum Speed: 255 mph
Range: 1,115 miles
Service Ceiling: 25,530 ft
Rate of Climb: 1,700 ft/min

Armament

Guns: 2 x 0.50 in forward-firing synchronized Browning M2 machine gunned in engine cowling, and 2 x 0.30 in flexible-mounted Browning machine guns in rear
Bomber: 2,250 lb of bombs

Spad S.XIII

The French aircraft company, Socit our l’Aviation et ses Drives (SPAD) replaced its very successful SPAD VII with a bigger version using a more potent V-8 Hispano-Suiza engine. The prototype SPAD XIII C.1 first flew in March 1917.

With its 220-hp engine, the SPAD XIII reached a maximum speed of 125 miles per hour- about ten miles quicker than German aircraft. It carried two .303-caliber machine guns mounted about the engine and each gun had four hundred rounds of ammunition. Pilots could fire guns separately or together.

Nine different firms constructed a total of 8,472 SPAD XIIIs by the time production ceased in 1919. The U.S. Military Air Service adopted the SPAD XIII as its first fighter in World War I because they did not have a combat-ready fighter of its own. By the war’s end, the Air Service had accepted 893 SPAD XIIIs from the French, supplying fifteen of the sixteen Yankee Fighter Squadrons. Americans are most acquainted with the SPAD XIII because it was the preferred aircraft of the war and many of our aces flew them .

History of Our Aircraft

Serial Number: 4523

The Yankee Air Museum began building its replica SPAD S.XIII in October 2006 and completed the project in 2013, with over 40,000 volunteer hours put into the project. The aircraft is a replica of U.S. Army Air Service SPAD S.XIII, serial number 4523. The aircraft was one of the 94th Pursuit Squadron “Hat in the Ring Squadron” as flown by Captain Eddie Rickenbacker. The aircraft is part of the World War I exhibit.

General Characteristics

Crew: Pilot only

Wingspan: 27 ft 1 in (8.25 m)

Length: 20 ft 6 in (6.25 m)

Height: 8 ft 6.5 in (2.60 m)

Empty Weight: 1,245 lb (566 kg)

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 1,863 lb (845 kg)

Performance

Powerplant: Single 220 hp (164 kw) Hispano-Suiza 8Be 8 cylinder V8

Service Ceiling: 21,815 (6,650 m)

Rate of Climb: 384 ft/min (2m/s)

Armament

Guns: Twin .303-cal (7.7 mm) Vickers machine guns

Visit Us

Plane rides

Events

Learn

Support

Stay in the loop

Be the first to know about new programs, exciting events, aviation facts and more!

The Michigan Flight Museum dedicates itself to educating individuals through the history of American aeronautics, aerospace industries, and their associated technologies while inspiring generations through personal experiences to instill pride in our national accomplishments.

Skip to content